Today – Moving house hacks
10 moving house hacks
If you are looking for moving house hacks you have come to the right place. I have learned from bitter experience what not to get wrong and what you really do need to get right!
Here are 10 moving house hacks that may well make life a whole lot easier for you when you move.
1. Don’t move house on a bank holiday weekend..banks and solicitors and estate agents and key cutters may well be closed and then you may well be in a ‘bit of pickle.’ Plus, the roads might be a bit jammed too.
2. Don’t just take one day off work when you are moving house takes several. You will need to prep and you will need to recover!
3. Only use trusted and really reputable removal companies We didn’t do this – we used a very cheap company we found by chance. They ended up driving off after unpacking our stuff into the garden of our new home because they wouldn’t wait for the key unless we paid them an extortionate amount. Then it rained on our beds and sofas Aggh. Nightmare and never ever again!
You need good reviews and recommendations when choosing your removals company, And I would suggest you do workout beforehand what might happen if there are delays. You might also want to take a look at self-storage companies as a short term solution for spare items you don’t want to take to your new home
4. Send the kids off to their grandparents if possible so they don’t get under your feet.
5. Keep a box of essentials with toilet roll, tea bags your kettle and some milk (and fortifying choc biscuits) close by your side at all times. Some things are just essential to get you through.
6. I would also suggest you stash a radio in your keep by your side box – it can be very, very boring moving house with lots of time sitting around and waiting and you will need a distraction
7. Rope in some help this is way too mammoth a task for one person and this is definitely the time to call in some favours.
8. Try and get into clean the new house before you move – this means you really can just unpack and put stuff away rather than having to clean up around endless boxes.
9. Also set up as much as you possibly can in advance, such as electricity, phone, broadband etc. You want everything working as soon as and it is all so much easier and so much better if it is working on your arrival.
10. Moving house is one of the most stressful things you can do but remember you get to choose your mindset. Always. You can choose to look at the endless boxes and mountain of work ahead and all the possible things that go wrong. Or, instead, you could look at saying thank you to your current house and goodbye. You could then choose to look with positivity and optimism towards preparing to live in your new home and all the adventures that lie ahead. Keeping your focus on the positives will help you stay solution focussed and happy and stress will reduce as a result of this.
Moving house can be really positive
I do hope these moving house hacks help reduce any stress and that your moving house experience can be turned around. Positivity is contagious and if you embrace point 10 you will really impact everyone around you and they are likely to be more productive and smiley too which is a win – win for everyone.
Happy house move!
pin for later…